Saturday, January 2, 2010

Project 2010 Day 2: January 2, 2010: A Contrarian's view on Grizzly Bear

So, in 2009 lots of people were talking about Grizzly Bear's Veckatimest as one of the best albums of the year. I personally think that it's a very pretty album, but I never thought it was all that engaging. "About Face" is a perfect example of this.



It's a very pretty song, to be sure, but I certainly wouldn't seek it out. In the background it's very nice, but I never really actively listen to it, or want it on when I'm driving, and I feel like most of the album is like that. On the other hand I will say that "Two Weeks" is a lot of fun, and also has a great/disturbing video that goes with it.



Some other observations: Every day so far I've been getting a weird 30 second intro or transition track. Yesterday it was A0001 by Thursday. Today it was "Action" by The Starting Line. "Action" actually transitioned really well into "Adam's Song." Weird. "Adam's Song" then ends wanting to go into "All the Small Things," but then doesn't because of the way I'm listening to everything.

Acid 8000 has a great sample of a song that I don't know that goes "If you don't make your booty move, your booty must be dead." I love it.

I also listened to two version of "About Mr. Brown," a song I don't particularly like because I was too lazy to get up and skip the second version.

I will definitely talk about Sufjan Stevens in a later post as he is my, as well as 1,000 other people's, indie crush.

"Across the Sea" is Weezer's most depraved song. I really hate it except for the part of me that really loves it. I could probably write a whole post on it, but instead you're getting my non-love of Grizzly Bear.

Of everything I listened to, I think "Add It Up" might be my favorite, confirming that inside, I am still 14 years old.

Here's a list of what I listened to today:

About Face - Grizzly Bear
About Mr. Brown - O.A.R.
About Mr. Brown (Live) - O.A.R.
Above Ground - Norah Jones
Abraham - Sufjan Stevens
Abram - Jose Gonzalez
The Absence of God - Rilo Kiley
Absolutely Sweet Marie - Bob Dylan
AC/DC Bag - Phish
Acapella - Kelis
Accelerate - R.E.M.
Accidental Death - Rilo Kiley
Ache For You - Ben Lee
Acid 8000 - Fatboy Slim
Across The Fields - 10,000 Maniacs
Across The Sea - Weezer
Act Nice And Gentle - The Black Keys
Act of the Apostle - Belle & Sebastian
Act Of the Apostle II - Belle & Sebastian
Action - The Starting Line
Adam's Song - Blink 182
Add It Up - Violent Femmes
Addicted - Simple Plan
Adding to the Noise - Switchfoot

No comments:

Post a Comment