Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Project 2010: Indie Crush: Sufjan Stevens

My last song for today was "Decatur" by Sufjan Stevens. I am in love with Sufjan. For those who are not familiar, Sufjan sings beautiful songs about love, loss, adventures, history, and places. I was able to see him last year at All Tomorrow's Parties New York, and it was one of the most amazing shows I've ever been to. He played his album, Seven Swans, from beginning to end, and the thousand people in the room were so quiet that if anyone spoke at a normal voice almost the entire room was able to hear them. His performance was hypnotic. This is "To Be Alone With You" which is on Seven Swans



Sufjan followed up Seven Swans with Michigan- an album about Michigan and then Illinois. Illinois is one of my favorite albums of all time. The stories he tells in his songs are so beautiful, sad, happy, and interesting. "Decatur" is one of my favorites- "Stephen A Douglas is the great debater Abraham Lincoln is the great emancipator." No one else in the world would fit that into a song about a trip with their stepmother:



Finally, this is Casmir Pulaski Day. Every time I hear this song I get really sad and happy at the same time.



So, there is my little salute to Sufjan Stevens. He deserves a lot more- but this is what I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment